All our plotting has come to a head as our drow revolutionaries look to overthrow the Aelfir domination of the Spire. We have the prisoners of the Hive armed and ready to bust out. And in the bacchanals of the blind oracle, we see an opportunity to set the major defense forces of the Aelfir, the Black Guard and the Solar Guard, along with the Solar Church of the aelfir, against each other.
Marian of the bacchanals is working with “the demon of the lashing wind” to power the sex magic oracle effects. If the team wants to contact it, they would need an eidolon and a gift to make it work for them. Demonology in Spire and how it works – there are 20-30 known “demons” in Spire. The names allow demonologists to make subtle shifts in reality or artifacts (infusion) or incursion (let a demon lose on the population). Demonologists are public enemy #1 because an incursion could destroy a wide swath of the Spire.
Setting It Off
The team discusses a plan and comes up with:
- Subvert the bacchanal – find a way to slip in the top ten nightmare scenarios from the high elf perspective to the visions as the next bad guys fingered by the oracle. Make sure the ministry and the prison are not the focus of those. Later, after the 10 visions, subvert the bacchanal so that it is an incursion to do a scorched-earth cleanup.
- Target #1 – Mary of the bacchanals is trafficking in demonology. True ones are the best!
- #2 – Light-Through-Splintered-Glass; finally we get rid of this knob-head.
- #3 – Black Guard leader
- #4 – Black Guard leader
- #5 – High Elf Military leader “gnoll invasion level” – Lieutenant Radiant Word Scours the Sun.
- #6 – Wicked Mr Alas’ lieutenant that is a demonologist
- #7 – Our Glorious Lady Pope Maji Lalin – this one is popular with Drow.
- #8 – Solar Church Archdeacon Many the Seedling’s
- #9 – Councilman Drynn – somewhat related to Bohemian Crystalhead cult
- #10 – Leader of the “sky whales” – Gwennit Saint Grendel, drow dock foreman.
Some of these are drow or drow-aligned, but you have to make the lineup plausible, so we feed them drow who will either get arrested/killed and destabilize the Spire or are powerful enough they’ll rally their own forces to fight back.
The team goes to to God Row to get the 10 visions into the seers’ head – They start with Heralds of the Prophecy!!! Based entirely off their neon sign and Slav’s religion domain. One of them is a friend of the revolution. Father Herald, Pope Herald, and Junior Herald represent the HotP. The heralds listen to their offer then ask them to return in 24 hours. A vengeful knife is left to watch them to ensure that they do not betray the Ministry. They are told the next day, “Buy ambrosia, we will load it with visions, and you’ll have to sneak it into the seers’ presence for consumption.” Ambrosia can be consumed, tossed on a brazier, and other forms.
They arrange to show up to the next bacchanal and “feed” the ambrosia to the seer. They will appear as servants at the bacchanal.
Prep work for the revolution:
- they have an army at the Hive prison
- they have weapons for that army
- Stella Blue, newspaperwoman – publishes stories about demonologists and incursions with the by-line “they’re bad for the drow and the high elf are responsible”.
- Target list for that army and general hate list for the mobs – para-military, high elf leadership, drow quislings,
- Lyddia gets the Guard arresting and confiscating food stuff caravans going to the upper levels. They get a warehouse of food.
- Gladiators are lined up by our Hyena Priest – she gets arrested and thrown in the Hive.
- Bound warriors are lined up but they end up fighting each other.
- Hyena Priest Abu whips up the faithful in Charnel – they agree to riot when the time comes.
- Slav gets the students riled up and radicalized. This is wildly successful.
- Anastomosis – we magically spread the ideas that the high elves are abandoning the Spire due to ongoing costs, demonologists problems, human technology, drow family values, and the new gnoll army.
- Mama Thinrees is brought in and prepared to making undying for the revolution – she agrees and prepares to make undying of heroes of the revolution, captured high elves, and so forth.
- The Sect of the Great Glass Eye is primed to riot.
- Vermissian Tubes via Bridge Street Station, the primary smuggling route from down spire to up spire, is successfully prepared to funnel half of the Hive army Ivory Row. Tariq arranges this with his revolutionary cadres.
- Slav uses her magical powers to cause the next bacchanal to cause an incursion.
The doctored visions go out and the shit hits the fan.
The Paladins arrest the following:
- Mary of the Bacchanals – untouched
- Light-Splintered-Glass – ejected from council
- Black Guard leader – executed
- Black Guard leader – executed
- Our Glorious Lady Pope Maji Lalin – executed in the streets
- Councilman Drynn – ejected from council
- Solar Church Archdeacon Many the Seedling’s – ejected from council and sent to a “remote” monastery.
- High Elf Military leader “gnoll invasion level” – Lieutenant Radiant Word Scours the Sun.
- Wicked Mr Alas’ lieutenant that is a demonologist
- Leader of the “sky whales” – Gwennit Saint Grendel, drow dock foreman.
Some Black Guard are fighting the Solar Guard; most are working with them. The prisoners riot and attack. Chaos reigns across the Spire.
The Vermissian Anatomosis causes some high elves to flee to the old country. But many high elves decide to stay and fight, stay and go native, or retreat to the various strongholds on the upper spire or Feather Island.
The Guard doesn’t fare well. Warden Langley goes into hiding. Commissioner LeVop runs and dies. The Guard disintegrates into precincts and smaller units with no leadership.
“Fortunate” Tamar Al-Nisr assassinates high elf mid level leaders who attempt to keep things organized, particularly those preaching moderation.
Abu Al-Nisr follows the mobs and assassinates leadership of anyone opposing the mob.
Order From Chaos
Lyddia ropes in Warden Langley to rebuilding the Guard into a drow police force. Their objectives are fighting fires and arson, making markets safe for commerce, getting food, water and other services to the public, and identifying the new political units forming (e.g. the Docks Union 4747 “Free Drow”).
Captain Wander-the-Lost, an high elf military man on the high council, revives from a deep depression to rally the troops and stabilize the Spire situation. Fortunate Tamar maneuvers to assassinate Captain Wander-the-Lost. Slav backs him up with an Evil Eye Curse. The captain is a hardy and paranoid high elf, he survives the initial attack and deals Tamar several wounds. But the captain dies nonetheless.
We leave off with the revolution largely successful, but only months to come will show how all the chips fall and whether the drow of the Spire will be free again!
But all is not over. Lyddia changes reality with Anastomosis again – suddenly, everyone believes Tariq Al-Nisr died heroically leading the attack on Ivory Row to rescue drow from the clutches of the high elves and their human packs. It is said that his blood was so blackened from his many lovers that his assassins died immediately. Beware the con man pretending to be the “real” Tariq. The Ministry is collecting for the lovers and orphans of Tariq fund.
This is all in service of the prophecy that Lyddia would kill Tariq, so she is trying to fulfill the prophecy but gunning for the person-hood not the life of Tariq.
Tariq, unawares, goes the Rut and Wallow bar to confer with his allies. He is told, “How dare you wear that heroes’ mask!” He chased from the bar and into the streets by an angry mob.
Abu finds out his brother is dead and someone is impersonating him. He finds the Tariq “doppleganger” and fires his crossbow volley style at him. The doppleganger yells back, “It’s me, Abu!” Tariq takes 5 Blood Stress before he convinces Abu that is really him. “Our brother Tamar is a retard! Hyenas have two nipples!” Abu is relieved that his brother is alive, but knowing that entire Spire thinks him dead, he recommends that his brother get a new identity.
Tariq goes to Therratrix whose powers include generating new identities. He gets one and vows to become Lyddia’s lover and screw her life up.