Did you know that you can see an estimate of any Web site’s traffic, gathered by Alexa (a subsidiary of amazon.com)? It’s just an estimate from people that have the Alexa toolbar installed, but that’s “millions” of users and it’s generally considered valid. I thought I’d run some of our favorite RPG communities through Alexa and see what happened!
1. All of the RPG sites’ traffic has been dropping off badly. From July to September, the leader, wizards.com, had its estimated daily reach drop steadily from .06% to .025%. Other sites had drops too, on average all of them are off nearly 50% in 3 months! Why is this, especially during convention season? Perhaps it’s reflective that all the releases from gaming companies and all the news from the cons seems to be board game crap and not RPGs.
- Wizards was #1 by far, as expected, with 0.261%. If they could deliver on something digital and monetize it they might be cooking with gas 😛
- rpg.net is solidly in #2, with .0044%.
- sjgames.com in there at .0023%! Pyramid still keeping the GURPS crowd strong. Woot!
- paizo.com and enworld.org are tied at .0018%. In fact, ENWorld used to be way above Paizo, but Paizo has been holding steady and not losing traffic (well, only 11%, which is the best of any of these) and has now crossed over to be on top. Indicative of Pathfinder being better than 4e? I’ll say yes!
- White Wolf has had the worst losses. It was as high as .01 3 months ago and has dropped off to be just below Paizo and ENWorld. What’s up guys?
- privateerpress.com in at .00092%, with only 36% loss over the last 3 mos.
- d20srd.org, at .00088%! Those boys need to get some ad revenue going!
- alderac.com (AEG) still at .00067% despite a 57% 3 month loss. They’re barely RPG publishers any more but I thought I’d list them.
- peginc.com – Pinnacle Entertainment, the Savage Worlds guys, .00062%
- palladiumbooks.com – Rifts still holding strong, at .00062% as well.
Below this, at traffic ranks below 100,000, Alexa says samples are low enough you can’t guarantee reliability. But, it’ll show ya numbers anyway – and I see:
- rpgnow.com – sales are proceeding ok on this front, they’re only down 19% to .00046%. drivethrugames (well, drivethrustuff, which it redirects to) is the same guys but I’ve never really had it clearly stated what the difference is, but shows at .00032%, so if you add them up they move up three spots in the list.
- atlas-games.com – .00044%. Come on guys, publish some RPG stuff again. I loved Feng Shui, the Penumbra stuff… Not too hot on the Ars Magica but I’ve gotten one from time to time. Board games and “regalia” – non!
- mongoosepublishing.com – .00037%, with only a 22% loss. If their editing was better maybe they’d bump up some. (hint, hint)
- edenstudios.net – still at .00037%, though I hear a lot less out of them nowadays than I used to.
- therpgsite.com – .00023% (half of them from Germany, oddly, which adds to my theory that RPGPundit is an escaped Nazi clone hiding in Uruguay).
- kenzerco.com – .00023%
- flamesrising.com – .0002%, ties with dungeonmastering.com.
- indie-rpgs.com – .00019% (the FORGE, I’m sure RPGPundit will cackle at his site beating theirs)
- rpgbloggers.com – .00016%, everyone’s favorite new blog aggregator
- obsidianportal.com – .00015%, added per user request below
- indiepressrevolution.com – traffic here’s down the usual 50% to .00014%.
- greenronin.com – .00011%, although they fragment their domains – mutantsandmasterminds.com is another .00005% and true20.com adds .00003%. So really it’s up there tied with the FORGE.
- rpglife.com – .000044% – I had never heard of these guys, a new blog aggregator/community site, until a recent “free PDFs to join us” promotion, I went and looked and it claimed millions of hits or users or something from the sites it was merging to make itself, but the posts are either crap or crazies (can’t find the post now, but someone suing Wizards and the Williams over some lame ezine). I vote for rpgbloggers.com to kill them and take their stuff. Sorry guys. Their tech seems better though.
- pelgranepress.com – .00004%. GUMSHOE making a showing!
- margaretweis.com – .00004%. I would have hoped these licensed properties (Serenity, BSG) would be doing better.
- goodmangames.com – .00002%
- trolllord.com – .00002%, off 68% in 3 months!
- evilhat.com – fell off. Sad for Spirit of the Century!
My hint to the RPG publishers – start publishing some RPGs again! The drop in interest is obviously due to no one putting out any new gaming stuff anytime recently.