Our newest campaign is based on the Spire RPG. This is a cool high-concept game – we are all drow living in the Spire, which is a China Mieville-esque super weird giant tower where each level is a whole neighborhood.
But the elves have conquered it and keep us down as an oppressed underclass (along with their human lackeys). Therefore, we foment rebellion! It’s like Vornheim meets Bas-Lag meets Menzoberranzan meets the Black Panthers and the IRA. Good stuff!
I recently read Melvin Van Peebles’ book Panther and racial politics are a big deal nowadays, so it’s interesting to explore it as a batch of privileged white guys.
Here’s our characters:
Abu Al-Nisr (Paul), a carrion priest and clutch mate to Tamar and Tariq. He has a hyena to help devour the dead, as is only proper.
- Tariq Al-Nisr (Me), a firebrand and clutch mate to Abu and Tamar. He brought Slav into the revolution the old fashioned way, sexing her into radicalization.
- “Fortunate” Tamar Al-Nisr (Bruce), a Bound and clutch mate to Abu and Tariq. He rescued Lyddia Jath when she fell from the Perch.
- Lyddia Jath (Chris), a Vermissian sage. She knows Abu’s secret, which is that he was captured by the gnolls and joined them in fighting the drow army.
- Theratrix (Matt), a midwife. She saved Abu’s life during the war, not realizing he was fighting alongside the gnolls.
- Slav (Patrick), a blood witch. She has tasted Lyddia’s blood and believes she’s fated to kill Tariq.
- Krieth (Kat), a human emissary. Appeared briefly and was gone just as fast. For the best, humans aren’t trustworthy.
The game system is pretty Apocalypse-y. Our initial direction for liberating the Spire is to compromise the Hive, the big ass prison blocks, and use that to recruit people to overthrow the hated high elves! Word of our adventures will come…